Saturday, August 30, 2014

Feeling Behind

Week one is done.  It is actually better than I thought it would be.  I do feel weird and slightly out of place, but I do enjoy it.  I like the feeling of learning again, and the experience of college.  I'm glad I chose the traditional route instead of taking online classes.  I had hoped that it would be different than high school.  I hated high school and didn't really learn very much.  I was right that it is different, thank goodness.

Not learning much in high school made me have a small setback this week.  My first real biology class on my way to becoming a PA, Population Biology.  The professor asked a few questions to the class and answers were given.  Some right, some wrong.  Then she said that this is basic stuff that we all learned in high school.  What?  I never learned this in high school.  What is a Eukaryotic Cell?  I have no idea.  How about a Prokaryotic Cell?  I don't know what high school she went to, but it wasn't mine.

Thus began a weekend of learning "high school" biology.  I read the first chapter of text, which is basically a broad review of biology, and I took notes.  My wife said I was crazy for doing unneeded work, but I think in the long run it will benefit me.  Two pages of notes doesn't seem like a lot of work to understand the basis of what I want to do with my life.

This week was an enlightening experience.  I walked from class to class, even though I could have drove, just to see what everyone sees.  I sat on the steps outside of the science building and studied with other students.  I enjoyed every minute on campus.  Here's to hoping I enjoy every future minute.

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment